No matter where your family lives, home security is one of the most crucial components in giving you and your loved ones the peace of mind that you deserve. Due to the hustle and bustle of everyday life however, this is an aspect that sometimes can be overlooked. Our staff at SafeHouse LLC understands this and that is why we offer these 10 habits that can assist your family in choosing various ways to promote safety. These include remembering to arm your security system, making sure all of your keys and openers are hidden and maybe even stage a fake burglary. We hope you find them helpful.
- It is a smart move to hold a household meeting every month and talk with everyone in the family about any practices currently in place and ways to improve overall security. Brainstorming can lead to some really solid ideas.
- Agreeing to follow different routines also will help everyone remember the procedures. They could include: making sure doors and windows are locked, not opening the door to strangers without seeing some form of identification and always making sure your security system is activated when no one is at home.
- Though it can come in handy, our team at SafeHouse LLC recommends that families do not keep a spare key hidden outside of the house under the doormat, rock, etc. It might seem like a good idea, but unfortunately most burglars will be able to figure out where the key is hidden.
- The same principle applies to leaving your keys or garage openers out in the open or near a door when you are home. Instead, store them in a cabinet or drawer that you can access and keep them out of sight at the same time.
- Installing intimidating signs — like “Beware Of Dog,” stickers from security firms or small plaques on the front lawn — can be very effective illusions and serve to be deterrents against possible criminals.
- Making sure that you have plenty of outdoor lighting is an extremely good idea. It may seem costly, but there are options that will fit anyone’s budget. Our staff at SafeHouse LLC will be glad to go over some selections with you.
- By keeping any bushes, shrubs or trees well-maintained and trimmed, you will eliminate potential hiding spots that robbers could use.
- Periodically checking the status of the locks on windows and doors is wise, because you can find any problems right away and replace defective ones.
- When no one is at the house, be sure to at least leave one visible light or a TV on. This will give the appearance that someone is home.
- If there is a neighbor or neighbors that your family trusts, one fun way to promote strong home security is to stage a fake burglary. Allow your neighbor to roam through your house for about three minutes, find as many small valuables as they can and take them from your house. This way, you can see how easy it would be for a real robber to find what is precious to you. That might mean that you purchase a small safe, renting a safety-deposit box or more. You then can return the favor for your neighbor.
Here at SafeHouse LLC, we are glad to share these tips with you. If you do spot something out of the ordinary, get it fixed. In the case of an emergency, we encourage everyone to immediately contact the authorities. For more information, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions by calling us at 410-673-1759 or visit our website at www.thinksafehouse.com.